About the Cathedral
A BRIEF HISTORY
Christ Church, Mobile was founded in 1822 as the first protestant church in Alabama. Initially, all protestant denominations met together in a frame building that stood on the present site. Denominations departed over time to build their own houses of worship further west, leaving the Episcopal congregation to found itself as Christ Church Parish in 1823. The present building was begun in 1835 and consecrated by Bishop Leonidas Polk of Louisiana in 1842. The interior of Christ Church was destroyed by the collapse of the steeple during the great hurricane of 1906, and the present interior dates from the reconstruction that followed.
In April 2003, following a period of study and discernment by the Diocese of the Central Gulf Coast, Christ Church was designated the Cathedral Church of the diocese by the Right Reverend Philip M. Duncan, II.
The restoration of the nave and Chapter House were undertaken in 2005 as a result of damage as a result of damage incurred during Hurricane Katrina. A capital campaign launched and executed in the fall of 2005 raised $3.5 million for the restoration and renovation of our campus.