We are in the midst of an exciting time in the life of our parish. Rally Day begins our new program year, our steeple will be returning this fall, our 2016-2017 Music Season began last month, and you should have received your music season booklet in the mail by now. It lists all of our concerts and special events for the whole season, so keep it handy! The choir has resumed rehearsals on Wednesday evenings at 6:30 p.m., the bell choir is practicing at 5:45 p.m., and we are excited to be together once again to make music for God and for all of you. There are several things especially exciting about our new season. Here is a quick list.
* One of our top priorities is to reestablish our Children's Choir this season. We hope this will become the foundation of the Cathedral Choir School, a system of choirs that form a comprehensive ministry to our parish and an outreach ministry to the city.
* There are three opportunities to financially support our music ministry. Friends of Cathedral Music donors support our concert series and guest artists at special services. Cathedral Organ Fund donors support maintenance and improvements of our historic pipe organ. Now, there is an opportunity to create named choral scholarships at the cathedral. (See the Music Season booklet for more information.)
* Musically, we are focusing on a special theme this year, "Oh, sing to the Lord a new song." The majority of our choral and handbell music will be drawn from the works of living composers. Certainly, we will still continue offering music from all time periods, but this special emphasis this season is a great way to support church music composers at work today.
* We have streamlined our concert series to create what may be our best season yet. All of our ensembles and guest artists will have something special to share.
* There will be more opportunities to experience new and exciting things in our liturgies. From services like Lessons and Carols and Choral Evensong to alternate ways of singing the psalms and canticles, there will be fresh sounds to inspire us in worship. There will be new things to help us worship.
The list could go on and on. Needless to say, this is an exciting time to be part of the cathedral's music ministry. Please consider joining one of our choirs. You do not need to read music or be a musician to join. Ask any of our choir members, and they will tell you what a meaningful experience it is to be a part of our ministry. Whether you sing from the chancel or the pew, however, Christ Church Cathedral is a great place to make music.
A lot is happening here, and things will continue to speed up and make progress. Our music ministry is ready for a great season, and we ask your prayers as we continue the joyful work of making music in our holy place. Christ Church Cathedral is a place to celebrate, be inspired, and bask in the vibrant hues of our faith. Just like our windows, grounds, and liturgy, our music makes this celebration more real. May we be blessed and strengthened in this endeavor.